Thursday, August 7, 2008
Update
I though it was time for an update here. We are still in orientation and today we went to an outdoors ropes course to do team building activities and it was a blast. Last night we all crowded into our spare bedroom and played youtube videos for one another. Our group is getting along so well and I hope that continues!
Yesterday, we went on a Toxic Tour for the Little Village community where one of our houses is located. It was incredibly sad as they have so much pollution and they are one of the most densely populated areas in the city. We traveled all over and they took us to sites that used to be factories are but are now superfund spots. These are areas that the EPA in the State can't afford to take care of so they have to ask the national EPA to step in. The high rates of asthma and cancer are a direct result of chemicals being buried under these sites. It is so sad and nothing like I expected. Some of the factorys are next to schools. I am not working there but so many people are working in that community. Their website is http://www.lvejo.org/
It is really informative and interesting to read about. The tour was led by 6 or 7 kids from the community and one staff member.
So thats it since Monday. This weekend is pretty relaxed. We are going out on Saturday as a group to a happy hour at a bar with drinks for free!! Uncle Jim I know you will appreciate that. Thanks everyone for their comments! I miss you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Bri,could you give me the address of that bar? Thanks.
Post a Comment